Letheringham Lodge

UNDERSTANDING THE EXTENT OF LISTING PART II

 

Michael Collins
LISTED BUILDING PLANNING CONSULTANT

Old School Studios Eastgate Street Bury St Edmunds 

CONTENTS (for previous sections see Part I by clicking here)

5.0 PHYSICAL LAYOUT, OWNERSHIP AND FUNCTION (continued)

6.0 SELECT BIBLIOGRAPHY 

Fig.29 Letheringham Lodge, lot 35, 1919 (SROI, f SC142/1) 

Fig.29 Letheringham Lodge, lot 35, 1919 (SROI, f SC142/1) 

Fig.30 1975 OS map 

Fig.30 1975 OS map 

Fig.31 View S from Lodge of ‘garden’ wall and across ‘Barn Hill’, 2012 

Fig.31 View S from Lodge of ‘garden’ wall and across ‘Barn Hill’, 2012 

Fig.32 Aerial photograph of ‘Barn Hill’, December 1945 

Fig.32 Aerial photograph of ‘Barn Hill’, December 1945 

Fig.33 Aerial photograph of ‘Barn Hill’, December 2000 

Fig.33 Aerial photograph of ‘Barn Hill’, December 2000 

Fig.34 Aerial photograph of ‘Barn Hill’, August 2007 

Fig.34 Aerial photograph of ‘Barn Hill’, August 2007 

5.22 Letheringham Lodge and adjacent group of buildings. 

Fig.35 Plan 2, May 1999 (‘Land Use Schedule’, C/99/0850, 0851, 0852) 

Fig.35 Plan 2, May 1999 (‘Land Use Schedule’, C/99/0850, 0851, 0852) 

Fig.36  Letheringham Lodge Farm, surveyed 1732 by J. Kirby 

Fig.36  Letheringham Lodge Farm, surveyed 1732 by J. Kirby 

Fig.37  The Lodge Farm, occupier William Cooper (SROI, HD11.475/563) 

Fig.37  The Lodge Farm, occupier William Cooper (SROI, HD11.475/563) 

Fig.38 Parish of Letheringham Tithe Map, 1842 (SROI, FDA165/A1/1b) 

Fig.38 Parish of Letheringham Tithe Map, 1842 (SROI, FDA165/A1/1b) 

Fig.39 1st edition 25” OS map, 1884 (surveyed in 1883) (LVIII.16) 

Fig.39 1st edition 25” OS map, 1884 (surveyed in 1883) (LVIII.16) 

Fig.40 2nd edition 25” OS map, 1904 (revised in 1903) (LVIII.16) 

Fig.40 2nd edition 25” OS map, 1904 (revised in 1903) (LVIII.16) 

Fig.41 Aerial photograph of the building group, December 2000 

Fig.41 Aerial photograph of the building group, December 2000 

Fig.42 Aerial photograph of the building group, August 2007    Building: May 1999, Desc of building, Construction materials, Map evidence, Visual appraisal 1. Granary / 4-bay cart-shed open-sided to N, Timber-frame and red brick (monk bond), 1842x1884, Mid C19 2. Office / store, Timber-frame, 1904x1975, Early C20 3 and 4. Annexe accom. (Chestnut Cott.), Timber-frame, 1842x1884, Mid C19 5. Single residence (5 Lodge Farm), Red brick (monk bond), 1842x1884, Mid C19 6. Single residence (6 Lodge Farm), Red brick (monk bond), 1884x1904, Late C19 7. 5-bay cow-house, Timber-frame, 1842x1884, Mid C19 8. Workshop (attached to 7), Metal, 1904x1975, Late C20 9. 4-bay cart-shed open-sided to E, Timber-frame, 1842x1884, Mid C19 10. 5-bay dutch barn, Metal, 1904x1975, Early C20 11. 6-bay shelter shd. open-sided to S, Red brick (monk bond), 1884x1904, Late C19 12. Loose boxes, Timber-frame, 1842x1884, Demo. N of 4. Lean-to range, Red brick (monk bond), 1842x1884, Mid C19 N of 8. Shelter shed (attached to 8), Fletton brick (monk bond), 1904x1975, Early C20 S of 11. Covered yard, Metal, 1904x1975, Demo. Note, Range adjacent to Long Barn, Red brick (monk bond), 1842x1884, Mid C19 Fig.43 Analysis of group of buildings adjacent to Letheringham Lodge    Building: May 1999, Sale Catalogue, Lot 35, 29 April 1919 (SROI, f SC142/1, Visual appraisal 1. Brick, timber, and tiled 4-bay waggon lodge, granary over, and lean-to implement shed Granary / 4-bay cart-shed (open-sided to N) 2. Office / store 3 and 4. Plaster and tiled wash house and dairy with room over Annexe accom. (Chestnut Cottage) 5. Brick and tiled hackney stable with 2 stalls and loose box, Single residence (5 Lodge Farm) 6. Brick and tiled cart horse stable for 12 horses, Single residence (6 Lodge Farm) 7. Neathouse to tie 8 cows, calves crib, & chaff house with loft over, 5-bay cow-house 8. Cow-yard, Workshop 9. Timber and thatched 3-bay implement shed and lean-to 4-bay cart-shed (open-sided to E) 10. 5-bay dutch barn,  11. 5-bay open shed and loose box, 6-bay shelter shed (open-sided to S) 12. 2 colt yards each with loose box, Loose boxes (demo.),  - Range of brick and tiled piggeries, coal & wood houses, & outhouses Lean-to range N of 4 - 3-bay open shed, Shelter shed N of 8 - Horse yard, Covered yard S of 11 (demo.) Note, Brick and tiled mixing house, and 4 cattle yards with loose boxes Range adjacent to Long Barn Fig.44 Adjacent group of bldgs. reconciled with 1919 sales catalogue   

Fig.42 Aerial photograph of the building group, August 2007 

 

Building: May 1999, Desc of building, Construction materials, Map evidence, Visual appraisal

1. Granary / 4-bay cart-shed open-sided to N, Timber-frame and red brick (monk bond), 1842x1884, Mid C19

2. Office / store, Timber-frame, 1904x1975, Early C20

3 and 4. Annexe accom. (Chestnut Cott.), Timber-frame, 1842x1884, Mid C19

5. Single residence (5 Lodge Farm), Red brick (monk bond), 1842x1884, Mid C19

6. Single residence (6 Lodge Farm), Red brick (monk bond), 1884x1904, Late C19

7. 5-bay cow-house, Timber-frame, 1842x1884, Mid C19

8. Workshop (attached to 7), Metal, 1904x1975, Late C20

9. 4-bay cart-shed open-sided to E, Timber-frame, 1842x1884, Mid C19

10. 5-bay dutch barn, Metal, 1904x1975, Early C20

11. 6-bay shelter shd. open-sided to S, Red brick (monk bond), 1884x1904, Late C19

12. Loose boxes, Timber-frame, 1842x1884, Demo.

N of 4. Lean-to range, Red brick (monk bond), 1842x1884, Mid C19

N of 8. Shelter shed (attached to 8), Fletton brick (monk bond), 1904x1975, Early C20

S of 11. Covered yard, Metal, 1904x1975, Demo.

Note, Range adjacent to Long Barn, Red brick (monk bond), 1842x1884, Mid C19

Fig.43 Analysis of group of buildings adjacent to Letheringham Lodge 

 

Building: May 1999, Sale Catalogue, Lot 35, 29 April 1919 (SROI, f SC142/1, Visual appraisal

1. Brick, timber, and tiled 4-bay waggon lodge, granary over, and lean-to implement shed

Granary / 4-bay cart-shed (open-sided to N)

2. Office / store

3 and 4. Plaster and tiled wash house and dairy with room over Annexe accom. (Chestnut Cottage)

5. Brick and tiled hackney stable with 2 stalls and loose box, Single residence (5 Lodge Farm)

6. Brick and tiled cart horse stable for 12 horses, Single residence (6 Lodge Farm)

7. Neathouse to tie 8 cows, calves crib, & chaff house with loft over, 5-bay cow-house

8. Cow-yard, Workshop

9. Timber and thatched 3-bay implement shed and lean-to 4-bay cart-shed (open-sided to E)

10. 5-bay dutch barn, 

11. 5-bay open shed and loose box, 6-bay shelter shed (open-sided to S)

12. 2 colt yards each with loose box, Loose boxes (demo.), 

- Range of brick and tiled piggeries, coal & wood houses, & outhouses Lean-to range N of 4

3-bay open shed, Shelter shed N of 8

Horse yard, Covered yard S of 11 (demo.)

Note, Brick and tiled mixing house, and 4 cattle yards with loose boxes Range adjacent to Long Barn

Fig.44 Adjacent group of bldgs. reconciled with 1919 sales catalogue 

 

Fig.45 Easton Park Estate sale catalogue,1919 (p.54) (SROI, f SC142/1) 

Fig.45 Easton Park Estate sale catalogue,1919 (p.54) (SROI, f SC142/1) 

Fig.46 Easton Park Estate sale catalogue, 1919 (p.55) (SROI, f SC142/1) 

Fig.46 Easton Park Estate sale catalogue, 1919 (p.55) (SROI, f SC142/1) 

Fig.47  Granary / 4-bay cart-shed (‘existing’ N elev., bldg.1, C/91/0962) 

Fig.47  Granary / 4-bay cart-shed (‘existing’ N elev., bldg.1, C/91/0962) 

Fig.48  5 and 6 Lodge Farm (‘proposed’ W elev., bldgs. 5 & 6, C/9605) 

Fig.48  5 and 6 Lodge Farm (‘proposed’ W elev., bldgs. 5 & 6, C/9605) 

Fig.49 5-bay cow-house (‘existing’ E elev., building 7, C/91/0962) 

Fig.49 5-bay cow-house (‘existing’ E elev., building 7, C/91/0962) 

Fig.50 4-bay cart-shed (‘existing’ E elev., building 9, C/91/0962) 

Fig.50 4-bay cart-shed (‘existing’ E elev., building 9, C/91/0962) 

Fig.51 6-bay shelter shed (‘existing’ S elev., building 11, C/91/0962) 

Fig.51 6-bay shelter shed (‘existing’ S elev., building 11, C/91/0962) 

Fig.52 Loose boxes (‘existing’ S elev., building 12, C/91/0962) 

Fig.52 Loose boxes (‘existing’ S elev., building 12, C/91/0962) 

Fig.53 View of Letheringham Lodge from south-west, 2012 

Fig.53 View of Letheringham Lodge from south-west, 2012 

Fig.54 View from SE, with wall to S, ‘orchard’ to N, and ‘garden’ to E 

Fig.54 View from SE, with wall to S, ‘orchard’ to N, and ‘garden’ to E 

Fig.55 View from SW, with wall to S, ’orchard’ to N, and ‘garden’ to E 

Fig.55 View from SW, with wall to S, ’orchard’ to N, and ‘garden’ to E 

Fig.56 View of Letheringham Lodge and adj. building group from NE 

Fig.56 View of Letheringham Lodge and adj. building group from NE 

Fig.57 View of Letheringham Lodge and adj. building group from N 

Fig.57 View of Letheringham Lodge and adj. building group from N 

Fig.58 View of Letheringham Lodge and adj. building group from NW 

Fig.58 View of Letheringham Lodge and adj. building group from NW 

Fig.59 View of Letheringham Lodge and adj. building group from SW 

Fig.59 View of Letheringham Lodge and adj. building group from SW 

Fig.60 View of Letheringham Lodge and adj. building group from S 

Fig.60 View of Letheringham Lodge and adj. building group from S 

Fig.61 Barn from SE with other farm buildings to NW of ‘Barn Hill’ 

Fig.61 Barn from SE with other farm buildings to NW of ‘Barn Hill’ 

Fig.62 View from SW with ‘Barn Hill’ to N, 1988 (EH Archive, BB92.29101) 

Fig.62 View from SW with ‘Barn Hill’ to N, 1988 (EH Archive, BB92.29101) 

Fig.63 View of south elevation of Barn, 1988 (EH Archive, BB92.29102) 

Fig.63 View of south elevation of Barn, 1988 (EH Archive, BB92.29102) 

Fig.64 View of north elevation of Barn, 1988 (EH Archive, BB92.29103) 

Fig.64 View of north elevation of Barn, 1988 (EH Archive, BB92.29103) 

Fig.65 View of Barn from south-east, 1988 (EH Archive, BB92.29104)    5.23 Ownership and occupation of Letheringham Lodge.  Year, Directory, Entry, Commentary 1844, White, William Toller, farmer The Lodge, ‘An ancient mansion now occupied by a farmer’ 1855, White, William Toller, farmer The Lodge, ‘An ancient mansion now occupied by a farmer’ 1869, Kelly, William Toller, farmer The Lodge,  1879, Kelly, Samuel Toller, farmer The Lodge,  1883, Kelly, Samuel Toller, farmer The Lodge, 1885, White, Samuel Toller, farmer The Lodge, ‘An ancient mansion now occupied by a farmer’ 1888, Kelly, Samuel Toller, farmer The Lodge 1892, White, Samuel Toller, farmer The Lodge, ‘An ancient mansion now occupied by Samuel Toller’ 1896, Kelly,  1900, Kelly 1904, Kelly 1908, Kelly, Thomas Capon, farmer Lodge Farm 1912, Kelly, Thomas Capon, farmer Lodge Farm 1916, Kelly, Thomas Capon, farmer Lodge Farm 1922, Kelly, Mrs Thomas Capon, farmer Lodge Farm 1925, Kelly, Arthur Packard, farmer Lodge Farm 1929, Kelly, Arthur Packard, farmer Lodge Farm 1933, Kelly, H.J. Mayhew, farm bailiff to C.C. Smith and Sons Lodge Farm 1937, Kelly, Roger Clough, farmer Letheringham Lodge Fig.66 Entries for Letheringham Lodge in County Directory, 1844-1937    Year, Property, Name, Reference 1961-62, Lodge Farm, R. Clough, SROI, EF11/2/8/14 Rate books for the period 1962-74 are unavailable Fig.67 Entry in Rate Book, 1961-62 (Deben Rural District Council)      Year, Property, Resident(s), Reference 1964, The Lodge, Roger Clough, Vera Clough, SROI, 170/178 1965, The Lodge, Roger Clough, Vera Clough, SROI, 170/181 1966, The Lodge, Roger Clough, Vera Clough, SROI, 170/184 1967, The Lodge, Roger Clough, Vera Clough, SROI, 170/187 1968, The Lodge, Roger Clough, Vera Clough, SROI, 170/190 1969, The Lodge, Roger Clough, Vera Clough SROI, 170/193 1970, The Lodge, Roger Clough, Vera Clough SROI, 170/196 1971, The Lodge, Roger Clough, Vera Clough, SROI, 170/199 1972, The Lodge, Roger Clough, Vera Clough, SROI, 170/202 Qualifying date for entry on Register is 10 October of preceding year Fig.68 Entries for The Lodge on Register of Electors, 1966-72    Year, Property, Resident(s), Reference 1964, Lodge Farm Cottage, Raymond Scopes, Sheila Scopes, SROI, 170/178 1965, Lodge Farm Cottage, Raymond Scopes, Sheila Scopes, SROI, 170/181 1966, Lodge Farm Cottage, Raymond Scopes, Sheila Scopes, SROI, 170/184 1967, Lodge Farm Cottage, Raymond Scopes, Sheila Scopes, SROI, 170/187 1968, Lodge Farm Cottage, Raymond Scopes, Sheila Scopes, SROI, 170/190 1969, Lodge Farm Cottage, Raymond Scopes, Sheila Scopes, SROI, 170/193 1970, Lodge Farm Cottage, Raymond Scopes, Sheila Scopes, SROI, 170/196 1971, Lodge Farm Cottage, Raymond Scopes, Sheila Scopes, SROI, 170/199 1972, Lodge Farm Cottage, Raymond Scopes, Sheila Scopes, SROI, 170/202 Qualifying date for entry on Register is 10 October of preceding year Fig.69 Entries for Lodge Farm Cottage on Register of Electors, 1966-72      Conveyance,      Date,          Between 1 and 2 Letheringham Lodge, 12 October 1936, 1. Felix Smith and Bernard Smith 2. Roger Clough Long Barn, 28 August 1990, 1. Michael Roger Clough, 2. Michael Roger Clough and Rosemary Janet Jasper Clough,  Letheringham Lodge, 21 February 1991, 1. Michael Roger Clough, 2. Michael Roger Clough and Rosemary Janet Jasper Clough Long Barn, 2 December 1994, 1. Michael Roger Clough, 2. Michael Roger Clough and Rosemary Janet Jasper Clough 3. Alan Hutt and Jane Hutt Letheringham Lodge, February 1996, 1. Clough, 2. Mills / Homesteads Limited Letheringham Lodge, 11 June 2010, 1. Peter Mills and Annette Mills 2. Homesteads Limited, 3. Eric John Wright  Fig.70 Land Registry, Letheringham Lodge (2013)      Property, Date, Price, Tenure Letheringham Lodge, 13 December 2012, £1,440,000, Freehold Long Barn, 5 April 2012, £765,000, Freehold Long Barn, 14 September 2006, £730,000, Freehold Long Barn, 16 April 1999, £205,000, Freehold Chestnut Cottage, 12 November 1998, £35,000, Freehold 5 Lodge Farm, 12 November 1998, £35,000, Freehold   Fig.71 Land Registry property sale data for IP13 0NA (post-Jan.1995)    Reference, Building(s), Submitted, Applicant, Certificate C/9605. 5 and 6, 6 April 1987, Mr & Mrs M.R. Clough, Owner C/9606, Other, 6 April 1987, Mr & Mrs M.R. Clough, Owner C/88/0729, Long Barn, 7 April 1988, Mr & Mrs M.R. Clough, Owner C/88/0730, Long Barn, 7 April 1988, Mr & Mrs M.R. Clough, Owner C/88/2566, 2, 20 Dec. 1988, Mr & Mrs M.R. Clough, Owner C/91/0962, 1, 7, 9, 11 and 12, 19 July 1991, Mr & Mrs M.R. Clough, Owner C/94/0227, Long Barn, 18 Feb. 1994, Mr & Mrs M.R. Clough, Owner C/94/0228, Long Barn, 18 Feb. 1994, Mr & Mrs M.R. Clough, Owner C/96/1073, 1, 7, 9, 11 and 12, 28 Aug. 1996, Mr P. Mills, Kinson Limited, Owner C/98/1396, 5 and 6, 12 Oct. 1998, Mr P. Mills, Kinson Limited, Owner C/99/0850, 2, 28 June 1999, Mr P. Mills, Kinson Limited, Owner C/99/0851, 3 and 4, 28 June 1999, Mr P. Mills, Kinson Limited, Owner C/99/0852, 5 and 6, 28 June 1999, Mr P. Mills, Kinson Limited, Owner C/01/1501, Long Barn, 18 Sep. 2001, J. Manton & G. Tomlin, Owner C/01/1502, Long Barn, 18 Sep. 2001, J. Manton & G. Tomlin, Owner C/01/1503, Long Barn, 18 Sep. 2001, J. Manton & G. Tomlin, Owner C/10/1353, Lodge, 25 May 2010, Mr P. Mills, Owner C/11/0978, Lodge, 26 April 2011, Mr P. Mills, Lodge Farm, Notice served C/11/0979, Lodge, 26 April 2011, Mr P. Mills, Lodge Farm, Notice served C/11/0980, Lodge, 26 April 2011, Mr P. Mills, Lodge Farm, Notice served C/13/0374 Lodge, 26 Feb. 2013, Mr M. Bickerton, Owner C/13/2238, Lodge, 5 Aug. 2013, Mr & Mrs Bickerton, Owner C/13/3847, Long Barn, 30 Dec. 2013, Mr P. Tillcock, Owner Certificate of ownership submitted with application (ie. ‘no person other than the applicant was an owner of any part of the land to which the application relates’, other than in the case of applications C/11/0978, C/11/0979 and C/11/0980 where ‘Notice served’ is stated and where in each case notice was served on Mr E. Wright). Fig.72 Certificates of ownership (SCDC, 1987-2013     

Fig.65 View of Barn from south-east, 1988 (EH Archive, BB92.29104) 

 

5.23 Ownership and occupation of Letheringham Lodge. 

Year, Directory, Entry, Commentary

1844, White, William Toller, farmer The Lodge, ‘An ancient mansion now occupied by a farmer’

1855, White, William Toller, farmer The Lodge, ‘An ancient mansion now occupied by a farmer’

1869, Kelly, William Toller, farmer The Lodge, 

1879, Kelly, Samuel Toller, farmer The Lodge, 

1883, Kelly, Samuel Toller, farmer The Lodge,

1885, White, Samuel Toller, farmer The Lodge, An ancient mansion now occupied by a farmer’

1888, Kelly, Samuel Toller, farmer The Lodge

1892, White, Samuel Toller, farmer The Lodge, ‘An ancient mansion now occupied by Samuel Toller’

1896, Kelly, 

1900, Kelly

1904, Kelly

1908, Kelly, Thomas Capon, farmer Lodge Farm

1912, Kelly, Thomas Capon, farmer Lodge Farm

1916, Kelly, Thomas Capon, farmer Lodge Farm

1922, Kelly, Mrs Thomas Capon, farmer Lodge Farm

1925, Kelly, Arthur Packard, farmer Lodge Farm

1929, Kelly, Arthur Packard, farmer Lodge Farm

1933, Kelly, H.J. Mayhew, farm bailiff to C.C. Smith and Sons Lodge Farm

1937, Kelly, Roger Clough, farmer Letheringham Lodge

Fig.66 Entries for Letheringham Lodge in County Directory, 1844-1937 

 

Year, Property, Name, Reference

1961-62, Lodge Farm, R. Clough, SROI, EF11/2/8/14

Rate books for the period 1962-74 are unavailable

Fig.67 Entry in Rate Book, 1961-62 (Deben Rural District Council) 

 

 

Year, Property, Resident(s), Reference

1964, The Lodge, Roger Clough, Vera Clough, SROI, 170/178

1965, The Lodge, Roger Clough, Vera Clough, SROI, 170/181

1966, The Lodge, Roger Clough, Vera Clough, SROI, 170/184

1967, The Lodge, Roger Clough, Vera Clough, SROI, 170/187

1968, The Lodge, Roger Clough, Vera Clough, SROI, 170/190

1969, The Lodge, Roger Clough, Vera Clough SROI, 170/193

1970, The Lodge, Roger Clough, Vera Clough SROI, 170/196

1971, The Lodge, Roger Clough, Vera Clough, SROI, 170/199

1972, The Lodge, Roger Clough, Vera Clough, SROI, 170/202

Qualifying date for entry on Register is 10 October of preceding year

Fig.68 Entries for The Lodge on Register of Electors, 1966-72 

 

Year, Property, Resident(s), Reference

1964, Lodge Farm Cottage, Raymond Scopes, Sheila Scopes, SROI, 170/178

1965, Lodge Farm Cottage, Raymond Scopes, Sheila Scopes, SROI, 170/181

1966, Lodge Farm Cottage, Raymond Scopes, Sheila Scopes, SROI, 170/184

1967, Lodge Farm Cottage, Raymond Scopes, Sheila Scopes, SROI, 170/187

1968, Lodge Farm Cottage, Raymond Scopes, Sheila Scopes, SROI, 170/190

1969, Lodge Farm Cottage, Raymond Scopes, Sheila Scopes, SROI, 170/193

1970, Lodge Farm Cottage, Raymond Scopes, Sheila Scopes, SROI, 170/196

1971, Lodge Farm Cottage, Raymond Scopes, Sheila Scopes, SROI, 170/199

1972, Lodge Farm Cottage, Raymond Scopes, Sheila Scopes, SROI, 170/202

Qualifying date for entry on Register is 10 October of preceding year

Fig.69 Entries for Lodge Farm Cottage on Register of Electors, 1966-72 

 

 

Conveyance,      Date,          Between 1 and 2

Letheringham Lodge, 12 October 1936, 1. Felix Smith and Bernard Smith 2. Roger Clough

Long Barn, 28 August 1990, 1. Michael Roger Clough, 2. Michael Roger Clough and Rosemary Janet Jasper Clough, 

Letheringham Lodge, 21 February 1991, 1. Michael Roger Clough, 2. Michael Roger Clough and Rosemary Janet Jasper Clough

Long Barn, 2 December 1994, 1. Michael Roger Clough, 2. Michael Roger Clough and Rosemary Janet Jasper Clough 3. Alan Hutt and Jane Hutt

Letheringham Lodge, February 1996, 1. Clough, 2. Mills / Homesteads Limited

Letheringham Lodge, 11 June 2010, 1. Peter Mills and Annette Mills 2. Homesteads Limited, 3. Eric John Wright 

Fig.70 Land Registry, Letheringham Lodge (2013) 

 

 

Property, Date, Price, Tenure

Letheringham Lodge, 13 December 2012, £1,440,000, Freehold

Long Barn, 5 April 2012, £765,000, Freehold

Long Barn, 14 September 2006, £730,000, Freehold

Long Barn, 16 April 1999, £205,000, Freehold

Chestnut Cottage, 12 November 1998, £35,000, Freehold

5 Lodge Farm, 12 November 1998, £35,000, Freehold

 

Fig.71 Land Registry property sale data for IP13 0NA (post-Jan.1995) 

 

Reference, Building(s), Submitted, Applicant, Certificate

C/9605. 5 and 6, 6 April 1987, Mr & Mrs M.R. Clough, Owner

C/9606, Other, 6 April 1987, Mr & Mrs M.R. Clough, Owner

C/88/0729, Long Barn, 7 April 1988, Mr & Mrs M.R. Clough, Owner

C/88/0730, Long Barn, 7 April 1988, Mr & Mrs M.R. Clough, Owner

C/88/2566, 2, 20 Dec. 1988, Mr & Mrs M.R. Clough, Owner

C/91/0962, 1, 7, 9, 11 and 12, 19 July 1991, Mr & Mrs M.R. Clough, Owner

C/94/0227, Long Barn, 18 Feb. 1994, Mr & Mrs M.R. Clough, Owner

C/94/0228, Long Barn, 18 Feb. 1994, Mr & Mrs M.R. Clough, Owner

C/96/1073, 1, 7, 9, 11 and 12, 28 Aug. 1996, Mr P. Mills, Kinson Limited, Owner

C/98/1396, 5 and 6, 12 Oct. 1998, Mr P. Mills, Kinson Limited, Owner

C/99/0850, 2, 28 June 1999, Mr P. Mills, Kinson Limited, Owner

C/99/0851, 3 and 4, 28 June 1999, Mr P. Mills, Kinson Limited, Owner

C/99/0852, 5 and 6, 28 June 1999, Mr P. Mills, Kinson Limited, Owner

C/01/1501, Long Barn, 18 Sep. 2001, J. Manton & G. Tomlin, Owner

C/01/1502, Long Barn, 18 Sep. 2001, J. Manton & G. Tomlin, Owner

C/01/1503, Long Barn, 18 Sep. 2001, J. Manton & G. Tomlin, Owner

C/10/1353, Lodge, 25 May 2010, Mr P. Mills, Owner

C/11/0978, Lodge, 26 April 2011, Mr P. Mills, Lodge Farm, Notice served

C/11/0979, Lodge, 26 April 2011, Mr P. Mills, Lodge Farm, Notice served

C/11/0980, Lodge, 26 April 2011, Mr P. Mills, Lodge Farm, Notice served

C/13/0374 Lodge, 26 Feb. 2013, Mr M. Bickerton, Owner

C/13/2238, Lodge, 5 Aug. 2013, Mr & Mrs Bickerton, Owner

C/13/3847, Long Barn, 30 Dec. 2013, Mr P. Tillcock, Owner

Certificate of ownership submitted with application (ie. ‘no person other than the applicant was an owner of any part of the land to which the application relates’, other than in the case of applications C/11/0978, C/11/0979 and C/11/0980 where ‘Notice served’ is stated and where in each case notice was served on Mr E. Wright).

Fig.72 Certificates of ownership (SCDC, 1987-2013 

 

 

Fig.73 Submitted plan for bldgs 1, 7, 9, 11 and 12 (SCDC, C/91/0962)    5.24  The agent’s letter dated 19 July 1991 refers to the 1989 permission as being for ‘the conversion of the old coach-house, stables and hayloft to three holiday cottages’. It adds, with reference to ‘the holiday cottages already converted’, that these ‘have been in operation for two years’ and that the applicants now wish ‘to convert the five other close-by, redundant, traditional buildings’. 5.25  The following is an extract from a letter dated 27 August 1996, written by Mr Peter Mills of Kinson Limited, Letheringham Lodge, and which accompanied an application for the renewal of an earlier permission for the conversion of redundant agricultural buildings to 5 no. holiday cottages (reference C/96/1073)): I confirm that we are the new owners of Letheringham Lodge including the subject land containing the holiday cottages and redundant barns, having purchased these from your previous applicants, Mr and Mrs Clough, earlier this year. 5.26  The following are extracts from a letter dated 12 October 1998, written by Mr Peter Mills of Kinson Limited, Letheringham Lodge, and which accompanied an application for the change of use of existing holiday cottages, known as nos. 5 and 6 Letheringham Lodge Cottages, to ‘permanent residential use’ (reference C/98/1396): The Cloughs continued to trade from the (farm) shop for a few months after they sold the property to my company but vacated it on 28 May 1996. It is currently used for storage. Approval for a further five holiday cottages was given (in) 1992; this was renewed (in) 1996. No work has begun on the works approved by this consent. The previous owners Mr and Mrs M.R. Clough obtained the original consent for the cottages (nos. 5 and 6) (from) redundant agricultural buildings. Once conversion was complete, the Cloughs let the cottages through agents for 5-6 years until they sold them, with the adjacent land and barns owned by them, to my company on 7 February 1996. My wife and I purchased the Lodge. The Cottages were in a neglected state at the time of sale. We decided to run the business for a while, .... and did so for two years. By late 1997 .... it became clear that the cottages were not viable for holiday lets. We therefore ceased to trade at the end of that year. Letheringham Lodge was a 300 acre working farm from before 1734 until some 20 years ago. There is a vacant pair of dilapidated cottages by the Lodge, (known as) Lodge Farm Cottages. We no longer wish to develop the additional (five buildings) as holiday cottages. We are currently restoring the redundant agricultural buildings with the aim of letting some out as workshops or for similar use, subject to all necessary consents. We would be prepared to surrender the two existing residential uses at Lodge Farm Cottages. 5.27  The following are extracts from a letter dated 24 June 1999, written by Mr Peter Mills of Kinson Limited, Lodge Farm, Letheringham, and which accompanied three applications submitted concurrently for the change of use of existing buildings, being no. 2 Lodge Farm (reference C/99/0850), nos. 3 and 4 Lodge Farm (C/99/0851), and nos. 5 and 6 Lodge Farm (C/99/0852): For the change of use of (no. 2 Lodge Farm) to B1 business use from farm shop and kitchen. For the change of use to ancillary accommodation for Letheringham Lodge of these two semi-detached cottages (nos. 3 and 4 Lodge Farm) in order that their permanent residential use may be transferred to nos. 5 and 6 Lodge Farm. Nos. 3 and 4 are currently in a dilapidated cottage. Nos. 3 and 4 are owned by this company, whilst Letheringham Lodge is privately owned by my wife and me. We own Kinson Limited outright, making eventual ownership the same. For the change of use (of nos. 5 and 6 Lodge Farm) to the extent that it is required to dwelling houses from holiday cottages. This permanent residential use being transferred from nos. 3 and 4 Lodge Farm. These properties (nos. 5 and 6) were formerly known as Letheringham Lodge Cottages. The cottages were participants in the EETB Inspection Scheme (between) 1990 and 1998 under both past and current ownership. The cottages were let through (agents) for seven years, (between) 1990 and 1997. 5.28  The following are extracts from the ‘Land Use Schedule’ for Lodge Farm dated 24 June 1999, which accompanied three applications submitted concurrently by Mr Peter Mills of Kinson Limited, Lodge Farm, Letheringham, for the change of use of existing buildings, being no. 2 Lodge Farm (reference C/99/0850), nos. 3 and 4 Lodge Farm (C/99/0851), and nos. 5 and 6 Lodge Farm (C/99/0852): Part I Description of the Letheringham Lodge Estate, including Lodge Farm Previously part of the Duke of Hamilton’s Estate, Letheringham Lodge was sold in 1922 as a 300 acre working farm. It continued to be worked until the 1980’s, after which the majority of the farmland and some buildings were sold. Long Barn .... was formerly called Tithe Barn. It was sold in 1994 by the previous owners with consent for conversion to residential use, and has since been converted. Letheringham Lodge .... is the principal moated property. Originally a hunting lodge, the present house was built mainly in the fifteenth and seventeenth century. It is believed to have been a dower house after it ceased to be a hunting lodge around 1610 and before it became a farm later that century. It is owned privately by Mr and Mrs Mills who live there. Lodge Farm (is) a collection of redundant and converted agricultural buildings, all part of the former farm originally established at Letheringham Lodge some time during the seventeenth century or earlier, with surrounding meadows of approximately 15 acres, all other farm land having been sold by the previous owners between 1982 and 1995. Part II Existing use of buildings within Lodge Farm The buildings forming Lodge Farm are numbered (on Plan 2, dated May 1999) and these are individually described with their current use. No. 1 Lodge Farm (is) a cartlodge(/granary) .... (with) consent for conversion of first floor (level) to holiday cottage. No. 2 Lodge Farm (is) a pair of stables .... with consent for farm shop and kitchen .... (though) currently used as an office and store. No. 3 Lodge Farm (is) a dilapidated semi-detached cottage, converted probably around 1930 from a dairy, .... (and is) currently unoccupied. No. 4 Lodge Farm (is) the other semi-detached part of no. 3, again a dilapidated cottage (and) currently unoccupied. No. 5 Lodge Farm .... has consent as a holiday cottage, .... (and has) some fifteenth century elements extensively rebuilt as part of its conversion for holiday cottage use in 1989/90. Currently let on an assured tenancy. No. 6 Lodge Farm .... (has) consent as two (holiday cottages), although these were interconnecting and latterly used as one cottage. Currently let on an assured tenancy. No. 7 Lodge Farm (was) restored during 1998 (and) has consent for conversion to a holiday cottage. It is currently used for (domestic) storage. No. 8 Lodge Farm (is) a part open-sided barn, with an attached cart shed. It is currently unused except (as a store). No. 9 Lodge Farm (is) a cart shed with a lean-to, .... (and) probably was originally thatched. Has consent for conversion to a holiday cottage. It is currently in a dilapidated order and is unused except (as a store). No. 10 Lodge Farm (is) an open-sided barn used currently for hay (storage). No. 11 Lodge Farm (is) a part open-sided barn with attached stable. The (stable) has consent for conversion to a holiday cottage. It is currently unused except (as a) store. No. 12 Lodge Farm (is) a pair of bull pens with consent for conversion to a holiday cottage. It is currently in a dilapidated order and is unused except (as a) store. Part III Proposed use of buildings within Lodge Farm The long term aim of Kinson is to put all the farm buildings back into good repair and use on a commercial basis. The earlier intended existing use, as holiday cottages, has not proven viable in the restored cottages (nos. 5 and 6 Lodge Farm) so that conversion of other buildings to this use has ceased. Kinson wish to let (nos. 5 and 6 Lodge Farm) long term as dwellings. In addition Kinson will surrender its five other holiday cottage consents and confirm its intention of proceeding with a programme of restoration and conversion of the other buildings at Lodge Farm. Used by Kinson for agricultural, horticultural and construction activities within the estate and beyond. 5.29  The following are extracts from the ‘Schedule setting out a description of the works’ dated 4 October 2010, which accompanied an application for the retention of the insertion of windows at Letheringham Lodge (reference C/10/1353): To retain windows which were inserted into the building during its extensive repair and restoration commenced some twelve years ago. Replacement windows have been installed at Letheringham Lodge between 1996 and 2004. Windows were replaced, after being found (to be) beyond repair, between 1996 and 2004. 5.30  The following are extracts from the ‘Heritage and Justification Statement’ dated 10 December 2010, prepared by Humphreys & Co, Solicitors for Mr P. Mills, and which accompanied an application for the retention of the insertion of windows at Letheringham Lodge (reference C/10/1353): To retain replacement windows which were introduced into the building .... at the time of essential repairs and restoration of the building commenced in or around 1996. Mr Mills initiated the repairs and restoration himself. Having acquired the building, Mr Mills and his wife commenced a thorough programme of repairs and restoration to the Lodge. Over the period 1996 to 2004 he personally (and) systematically worked through the building, restoring and preserving both the oak structure and the other historic building fabric. The application affects twenty-five replacement windows (inserted at) ground, first and attic floor (level). 5.31 The following are extracts from the ‘Applicant’s Further Submission’ dated 15 August 2011, which accompanied an application for the retention of the insertion of windows at Letheringham Lodge (reference C/11/0979): The applicant, with his wife, was the owner/occupier of Letheringham Lodge from May 1996 to June 2010. As part of a full programme of repair and restoration of the property between 1996 and 2004, Mr Mills replaced a number of existing windows. 6.0 SELECT BIBLIOGRAPHY Alston, L., 2014. ‘Letheringham Lodge: an Historic Assessment (Synopsis)’. Bridge, M., 2013. ‘The tree-ring dating of Letheringham Lodge’, Oxford Dendrochronology Laboratory Report 2013/34. Farrer, E., 1919. ‘Letheringham Lodge’, East Anglian Miscellany, nos. 5542, 5547, 5551, and 5557. Farrer, E., 1922. ‘Letheringham Lodge and the Wingfield relics’, East Anglian Miscellany, no. 6387. Harlow, M., 2009. ‘Legal Developments: Curtilage and Farm Buildings’, Conservation Bulletin, 61. Harwood, R., 2012. ‘Historic Environment Law: Planning, Listed Buildings, Monuments, Conservation Areas and Objects’. Martin, E. and Easton, T., 1992. ‘Moats in the Landscape: Parham and Letheringham’, Proc. Suffolk Inst. Archaeol., XXXVII.4. Martin, E., 2014. ‘Letheringham Lodge: a unique structure’. Mynors, C., 2006. ‘Listed Buildings, Conservation Areas and Monuments’. Pevsner, N., 1961. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Salmon, V., 1962. ‘The other Elizabeth Drury: a tragic marriage in the family of John Donne’s patron’, Proc. Suffolk Inst. Archaeol., XXIX.2. Sandon, E., c.1960-80. Notes for Suffolk Houses (Eric Sandon collection, SROI, HG402/3/100). Sandon, E., 1977. Suffolk Houses: a study of domestic architecture. Wade-Martins, S. and Aitkens, P., 1999. ‘The Farmsteads of Suffolk’, Journal of the Historic Farm Buildings Group, 13. 

Fig.73 Submitted plan for bldgs 1, 7, 9, 11 and 12 (SCDC, C/91/0962) 

 

5.24  The agent’s letter dated 19 July 1991 refers to the 1989 permission as being for ‘the conversion of the old coach-house, stables and hayloft to three holiday cottages’. It adds, with reference to ‘the holiday cottages already converted’, that these ‘have been in operation for two years’ and that the applicants now wish ‘to convert the five other close-by, redundant, traditional buildings’.

5.25  The following is an extract from a letter dated 27 August 1996, written by Mr Peter Mills of Kinson Limited, Letheringham Lodge, and which accompanied an application for the renewal of an earlier permission for the conversion of redundant agricultural buildings to 5 no. holiday cottages (reference C/96/1073)):

I confirm that we are the new owners of Letheringham Lodge including the subject land containing the holiday cottages and redundant barns, having purchased these from your previous applicants, Mr and Mrs Clough, earlier this year.

5.26  The following are extracts from a letter dated 12 October 1998, written by Mr Peter Mills of Kinson Limited, Letheringham Lodge, and which accompanied an application for the change of use of existing holiday cottages, known as nos. 5 and 6 Letheringham Lodge Cottages, to ‘permanent residential use’ (reference C/98/1396):

The Cloughs continued to trade from the (farm) shop for a few months after they sold the property to my company but vacated it on 28 May 1996. It is currently used for storage.

Approval for a further five holiday cottages was given (in) 1992; this was renewed (in) 1996. No work has begun on the works approved by this consent.

The previous owners Mr and Mrs M.R. Clough obtained the original consent for the cottages (nos. 5 and 6) (from) redundant agricultural buildings. Once conversion was complete, the Cloughs let the cottages through agents for 5-6 years until they sold them, with the adjacent land and barns owned by them, to my company on 7 February 1996.

My wife and I purchased the Lodge.

The Cottages were in a neglected state at the time of sale.

We decided to run the business for a while, .... and did so for two years.

By late 1997 .... it became clear that the cottages were not viable for holiday lets. We therefore ceased to trade at the end of that year.

Letheringham Lodge was a 300 acre working farm from before 1734 until some 20 years ago.

There is a vacant pair of dilapidated cottages by the Lodge, (known as) Lodge Farm Cottages.

We no longer wish to develop the additional (five buildings) as holiday cottages.

We are currently restoring the redundant agricultural buildings with the aim of letting some out as workshops or for similar use, subject to all necessary consents.

We would be prepared to surrender the two existing residential uses at Lodge Farm Cottages.

5.27  The following are extracts from a letter dated 24 June 1999, written by Mr Peter Mills of Kinson Limited, Lodge Farm, Letheringham, and which accompanied three applications submitted concurrently for the change of use of existing buildings, being no. 2 Lodge Farm (reference C/99/0850), nos. 3 and 4 Lodge Farm (C/99/0851), and nos. 5 and 6 Lodge Farm (C/99/0852):

For the change of use of (no. 2 Lodge Farm) to B1 business use from farm shop and kitchen.

For the change of use to ancillary accommodation for Letheringham Lodge of these two semi-detached cottages (nos. 3 and 4 Lodge Farm) in order that their permanent residential use may be transferred to nos. 5 and 6 Lodge Farm.

Nos. 3 and 4 are currently in a dilapidated cottage.

Nos. 3 and 4 are owned by this company, whilst Letheringham Lodge is privately owned by my wife and me. We own Kinson Limited outright, making eventual ownership the same.

For the change of use (of nos. 5 and 6 Lodge Farm) to the extent that it is required to dwelling houses from holiday cottages. This permanent residential use being transferred from nos. 3 and 4 Lodge Farm.

These properties (nos. 5 and 6) were formerly known as Letheringham Lodge Cottages.

The cottages were participants in the EETB Inspection Scheme (between) 1990 and 1998 under both past and current ownership.

The cottages were let through (agents) for seven years, (between) 1990 and 1997.

5.28  The following are extracts from the ‘Land Use Schedule’ for Lodge Farm dated 24 June 1999, which accompanied three applications submitted concurrently by Mr Peter Mills of Kinson Limited, Lodge Farm, Letheringham, for the change of use of existing buildings, being no. 2 Lodge Farm (reference C/99/0850), nos. 3 and 4 Lodge Farm (C/99/0851), and nos. 5 and 6 Lodge Farm (C/99/0852):

Part I
Description of the Letheringham Lodge Estate, including Lodge Farm

Previously part of the Duke of Hamilton’s Estate, Letheringham Lodge was sold in 1922 as a 300 acre working farm.

It continued to be worked until the 1980’s, after which the majority of the farmland and some buildings were sold.

Long Barn .... was formerly called Tithe Barn. It was sold in 1994 by the previous owners with consent for conversion to residential use, and has since been converted.

Letheringham Lodge .... is the principal moated property. Originally a hunting lodge, the present house was built mainly in the fifteenth and seventeenth century. It is believed to have been a dower house after it ceased to be a hunting lodge around 1610 and before it became a farm later that century. It is owned privately by Mr and Mrs Mills who live there.

Lodge Farm (is) a collection of redundant and converted agricultural buildings, all part of the former farm originally established at Letheringham Lodge some time during the seventeenth century or earlier, with surrounding meadows of approximately 15 acres, all other farm land having been sold by the previous owners between 1982 and 1995.

Part II
Existing use of buildings within Lodge Farm

The buildings forming Lodge Farm are numbered (on Plan 2, dated May 1999) and these are individually described with their current use.

No. 1 Lodge Farm (is) a cartlodge(/granary) .... (with) consent for conversion of first floor (level) to holiday cottage.

No. 2 Lodge Farm (is) a pair of stables .... with consent for farm shop and kitchen .... (though) currently used as an office and store.

No. 3 Lodge Farm (is) a dilapidated semi-detached cottage, converted probably around 1930 from a dairy, .... (and is) currently unoccupied.

No. 4 Lodge Farm (is) the other semi-detached part of no. 3, again a dilapidated cottage (and) currently unoccupied.

No. 5 Lodge Farm .... has consent as a holiday cottage, .... (and has) some fifteenth century elements extensively rebuilt as part of its conversion for holiday cottage use in 1989/90. Currently let on an assured tenancy.

No. 6 Lodge Farm .... (has) consent as two (holiday cottages), although these were interconnecting and latterly used as one cottage. Currently let on an assured tenancy.

No. 7 Lodge Farm (was) restored during 1998 (and) has consent for conversion to a holiday cottage. It is currently used for (domestic) storage.

No. 8 Lodge Farm (is) a part open-sided barn, with an attached cart shed. It is currently unused except (as a store).

No. 9 Lodge Farm (is) a cart shed with a lean-to, .... (and) probably was originally thatched. Has consent for conversion to a holiday cottage. It is currently in a dilapidated order and is unused except (as a store).

No. 10 Lodge Farm (is) an open-sided barn used currently for hay (storage).

No. 11 Lodge Farm (is) a part open-sided barn with attached stable. The (stable) has consent for conversion to a holiday cottage. It is currently unused except (as a) store.

No. 12 Lodge Farm (is) a pair of bull pens with consent for conversion to a holiday cottage. It is currently in a dilapidated order and is unused except (as a) store.

Part III
Proposed use of buildings within Lodge Farm

The long term aim of Kinson is to put all the farm buildings back into good repair and use on a commercial basis.

The earlier intended existing use, as holiday cottages, has not proven viable in the restored cottages (nos. 5 and 6 Lodge Farm) so that conversion of other buildings to this use has ceased.

Kinson wish to let (nos. 5 and 6 Lodge Farm) long term as dwellings.

In addition Kinson will surrender its five other holiday cottage consents and confirm its intention of proceeding with a programme of restoration and conversion of the other buildings at Lodge Farm.

Used by Kinson for agricultural, horticultural and construction activities within the estate and beyond.

5.29  The following are extracts from the ‘Schedule setting out a description of the works’ dated 4 October 2010, which accompanied an application for the retention of the insertion of windows at Letheringham Lodge (reference C/10/1353):

To retain windows which were inserted into the building during its extensive repair and restoration commenced some twelve years ago.

Replacement windows have been installed at Letheringham Lodge between 1996 and 2004.

Windows were replaced, after being found (to be) beyond repair, between 1996 and 2004.

5.30  The following are extracts from the ‘Heritage and Justification Statement’ dated 10 December 2010, prepared by Humphreys & Co, Solicitors for Mr P. Mills, and which accompanied an application for the retention of the insertion of windows at Letheringham Lodge (reference C/10/1353):

To retain replacement windows which were introduced into the building .... at the time of essential repairs and restoration of the building commenced in or around 1996.

Mr Mills initiated the repairs and restoration himself.

Having acquired the building, Mr Mills and his wife commenced a thorough programme of repairs and restoration to the Lodge.

Over the period 1996 to 2004 he personally (and) systematically worked through the building, restoring and preserving both the oak structure and the other historic building fabric.

The application affects twenty-five replacement windows (inserted at) ground, first and attic floor (level).

5.31 The following are extracts from the ‘Applicant’s Further Submission’ dated 15 August 2011, which accompanied an application for the retention of the insertion of windows at Letheringham Lodge (reference C/11/0979):

The applicant, with his wife, was the owner/occupier of Letheringham Lodge from May 1996 to June 2010.

As part of a full programme of repair and restoration of the property between 1996 and 2004, Mr Mills replaced a number of existing windows.

6.0 SELECT BIBLIOGRAPHY
Alston, L., 2014.
‘Letheringham Lodge: an Historic Assessment (Synopsis)’.

Bridge, M., 2013. ‘The tree-ring dating of Letheringham Lodge’, Oxford Dendrochronology Laboratory Report 2013/34.

Farrer, E., 1919. ‘Letheringham Lodge’, East Anglian Miscellany, nos. 5542, 5547, 5551, and 5557.

Farrer, E., 1922. ‘Letheringham Lodge and the Wingfield relics’, East Anglian Miscellany, no. 6387.

Harlow, M., 2009. ‘Legal Developments: Curtilage and Farm Buildings’,

Conservation Bulletin, 61.

Harwood, R., 2012. ‘Historic Environment Law: Planning, Listed Buildings, Monuments, Conservation Areas and Objects’.

Martin, E. and Easton, T., 1992. ‘Moats in the Landscape: Parham and Letheringham’, Proc. Suffolk Inst. Archaeol., XXXVII.4.

Martin, E., 2014. ‘Letheringham Lodge: a unique structure’.

Mynors, C., 2006. ‘Listed Buildings, Conservation Areas and Monuments’.

Pevsner, N., 1961. The Buildings of England: Suffolk.

Salmon, V., 1962. ‘The other Elizabeth Drury: a tragic marriage in the family of John Donne’s patron’, Proc. Suffolk Inst. Archaeol., XXIX.2.

Sandon, E., c.1960-80. Notes for Suffolk Houses (Eric Sandon collection, SROI, HG402/3/100).

Sandon, E., 1977. Suffolk Houses: a study of domestic architecture.

Wade-Martins, S. and Aitkens, P., 1999. ‘The Farmsteads of Suffolk’, Journal of the Historic Farm Buildings Group, 13.