The Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History are undertaking an excursion to Letheringham Lodge. This is what will appear in their next newsletter:
Excursion 3. Saturday 12 July
Letheringham Lodge – a medieval and Tudor wonder ?
This will be limited by ticket to 50 members only – 25 in the morning and 25 in the afternoon.
Excursion leaders: Leigh Alston, Timothy Easton and Edward Martin
Letheringham Lodge, by kind permission of the owners, who have very generously offered to provide lunch for the morning group and afternoon tea for the afternoon group.
An intriguing timber-framed building on the smallest occupied moated site in Suffolk. The original structure was square and jettied on all four sides, with later additions ofc.1610. Decorative panelling in an upstairs gallery (removed c.1920 to Brodick Castle on the Isle of Arran) bears heraldic badges linking them to Sir Anthony Wingfield, KG (d. 1552) of Letheringham Hall, an important figure at the court of King Henry VIII. Recent tree-ring dating of the original structure has led to new thinking about the date and purpose of this exceptional building.
Do sign up to become a member if you fancy coming along at www.suffolkinstitute.org.uk